AuthorMessage
USMCWARVET
Professional Street Racer
USMCWARVET

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2010-10-03

Looking for some info. Empty
PostSubject: Looking for some info.   Looking for some info. I_icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2011, 4:06 pm

Anyone on here know if its possible to sand blast plastic ? i have an engine cover that is chipping pretty bad and it had some house of color paint , i tried sanding it and put some primer on it , well the primer had some kind of reaction and i cant get it off.
Back to top Go down
S twice
S twice

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2010-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some info.   Looking for some info. I_icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2011, 6:14 pm

Sand blasting would tear through plastic. I recommend sanding it with sanding sponges working your way from the rougher to the finer grades (home depot) then wiping it with mineral spirtits(paint thinner) or laquer thinner to make sure all oil was 100% removed. If you paint an area and the paint seems to thin out and spread unevenly then there was oil underneath. Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
MIKE-HKS
Amateur Racer
Amateur Racer
MIKE-HKS

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2010-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some info.   Looking for some info. I_icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2011, 6:21 pm

Quote :
mineral spirtits(paint thinner) or laquer thinner

mineral spirit is oily ,thats a no no for painting , find another cover and start from scratch
Back to top Go down
kachup

Number of posts : 596
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some info.   Looking for some info. I_icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2011, 7:27 pm

sand it by hand, start with a ruff paper then go to smother paper...same thing happen to me once with my cobra spark plug cover

it takes a while
Back to top Go down
PhantomMenace
Intermidate Street Racer
Intermidate Street Racer

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some info.   Looking for some info. I_icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2011, 9:25 pm

you can have it soda blasted or plastic blast it. it doesnt damage plastic if done at low psi and removes everything. recomended psi for blasting platics is 40psi and under
Back to top Go down
USMCWARVET
USMCWARVET

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2010-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some info.   Looking for some info. I_icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2011, 11:23 pm

PhantomMenace wrote:
you can have it soda blasted or plastic blast it. it doesnt damage plastic if done at low psi and removes everything. recomended psi for blasting platics is 40psi and under

yeah i have heard of baking soda too. do you know anyone that can do it ?
Back to top Go down
CRUSH
Admin
Admin
CRUSH

Number of posts : 3512
Registration date : 2009-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some info.   Looking for some info. I_icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2011, 11:39 pm

PhantomMenace wrote:
+1

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some info.   Looking for some info. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for some info.
Page 1 of 1